Thursday, July 13, 2006

What Really Matters?

I'm getting over last week's attack of acute cholangitis (blocked bile ducts) but am still feeling a bit grog. All this resting is giving me a resting overdose! I am at work, but need to make plenty of space between assignments so as to be able to cope.

This has got me thinking as to what really matters in my life. I am having to prioritise and evaluate everything I do into what is really important, what can wait, and what doesn't really need my attention at all. That's not a bad discipline even for those who are well. Even Jesus refused to dash around Israel doing good everywhere and paced himself to do only those things that he felt God the Father was telling him to do.

I was chatting about this to my friend Stuart when he reminded me that we are called 'human beings' not 'human doings' and that we all need to know that we matter, not because of what we do, but because of who we are. Now I'm trying not to resent the process of sifting everything in the hope that it will stand me in good stead even when I am doing better.

It's an ill wind!