Thursday, September 07, 2006

Afraid? Moi?

'Be afraid; be very afraid!' said the cover of the book I had just picked up to browse in the bookshop. As if that would sell it to me! I've got enough struggles with fear without paying 7.99 to be scared even more.

Having waited several days following our recent medical trip to London for some results it appears that they have found a blockage in my pancreatic duct that requires urgent removal. So I am facing a readmission into hospital for several days in the near future and a surgical procedure which in my case has a 1 in 3 chance of causing life-threatening side effects. (At least - that's doctor speak for 'don't blame us if it all goes belly up!) I spent last night reliving my terrible weeks in Intensive Care on a previous occasion I had the same procedure.

Then - God spoke to me. He did so this morning from the ancient book of Isaiah. These words were written hundreds of years ago but they were just what I needed to hear. 'So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.' (Isaiah 41:10).

Now that's the kind of book I want to read.