Saturday, January 16, 2021

A Thin Stream of Fear

‘Worry is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.’  So said US author Arthur Somers Roche (1883–1935).∗ I reckon he was right. I have never been to see the Grand Canyon but it was apparently caused by a small water stream originally, which finally cut its way through solid rock! 

In the grip of a global pandemic there is plenty of water in the streams feeding our fears. People are using social media to lob their own bucketfuls of fear filled paranoia into the debates about vaccination, the virus and the uncertainties of our age. Frightened folk are being led astray by conspiracy theories that belong in medieval England not the western world of the 21st Century. But we are where we are, and whilst we can do little about the pandemic, we are each responsible for dealing with our own fear and worry.

I try not to let fear make the decisions around here! I know there are some dreadful things going on, but I choose not to let them disturb my present or determine my future. Fear and worry can be paralysing and when I face scary situations I choose daily to believe God’s promises and trust in His presence to see me through. When I do wake up terrified, or suffer a flashback from the past, I offer it up in prayer to a God whom I know loves me, and try to choose to move on. I don’t always succeed but I feel it is important to keep fear at bay and focus on God’s presence and promises.

Jesus spelled out a really helpful antidote to worry in Matthew 6:25-34. “So don’t be anxious about tomorrow. God will take care of your tomorrow too. Live one day at a time" (v34). This is sound advice but not always easy to follow. What might make it easier is knowing how much we are loved. Once we know that, and remind ourselves of it daily, then the remorseless drip-feed of fears and worries can be gradually turned off at the source.

If somehow the tiny stream in the Arizona desert could have been damned and used for some other purpose millennia ago, the awesome depths of the Grand Canyon would never have been formed. Of course, the finger of God drew those imposing escarpments, even if He used the tiny stream like a crayon. And my fears may not seem significant now. The voice of the fearful conspiracy theorists might not appear much more than mischievous at this point, but if we don't deal with fear and worry at this early stage, things can get badly out of hand. Thankfully, perfect love does still cast out fear (1 John 4:18).

Taken from WordLive by Scripture Union https://content.scriptureunion.org.uk/wordlive/worry-antidote