Saturday, March 28, 2020

Strong Protection for Times of Crisis

This is one of 15 loophole towers built around the coast of Guernsey during the period 1778-79. They are often called 'Martello towers', though these Guernsey forts predate those built in the next century and named after one erected at Martello Point in Malta. This one is at Vazon Bay near our home, on the West coast of the island, and was built by the British to defend against possible invasion by the French.

I went to take this photo this morning as part of my daily exercise programme (we are 'locked down' in our homes except for shopping, exercise and medical emergencies) because I had been greatly encouraged by a passage from the Bible book of Psalms (61). It read:

1 Hear my cry, O God;
    listen to my prayer.
2 From the ends of the earth I call to you,
    I call as my heart grows faint;
    lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
3 For you have been my refuge,
    a strong tower against the foe.

These towers were first and foremost defensive. But they were also a visible reassurance to islanders that their leaders had their back. They were a boost to morale and an encouragement to believe that all was well. And if the enemy did appear, then they were going to be there as a front line of defence.

I thank God that in this current crisis of global proportions, God is our refuge and fortress, a strong tower against the foe. Our hearts may well be growing faint (mine is!) and fear is a growing problem at this time, but these verses teach us to seek out the shelter and protection of One who is higher than us. 'As my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I'.

I also invite you to tune into the Livestream transmission from Vazon Church, Guernsey, just 500 yards away from the tower, where on Sunday 29th March at 10.45am Pastor Matt Gregor will talk about another similar Psalm - Ps. 46 - with its emphasis on being still and letting God be God! Just search YouTube for Vazon Church and tune in or watch it at a time of your own choosing.