Saturday, July 25, 2020

Into shops dressed like bank-robbers

The coming of face coverings for all who enter shops in England (and Scotland I think) is a really sad day. I know that those communities in Asia who have managed their Corona virus battle (so far) much better than the UK and the USA usually have worn masks since the start. I also accept that the wearing of a mask may help to prevent the spread of the disease by those with symptoms and without. But this is just one more step in robbing our communities of vital facial contact at a time when we need more of one another rather than less.

As someone who suffers from poor hearing I am amazed to discover just how much lip-reading I have been doing too. When a presenter on TV is speaking straight to camera wearing a face covering, I usually have to hit the subtitles button. Hearing people speaking in a crowded place when they are dressed like bank robbers is going to be doubly difficult.

Thankfully, here in Guernsey, the virus has been eliminated, and while the borders remain closed, as they are except for quarantine, we are not having to make any allowances for the virus, no masks, no social distancing, no ban on hugs or singing. We are very grateful for these privileges and do not take them for granted, but my heart goes out to those who have to forgo their own freedom in order to curtail this devilish virus.

Of course I support following public health advice where you are. But I feel that this is one more sign, if any more were needed, that Covid-19 is of satanic origin. The Bible character of the devil is often mocked and ridiculed, but Jesus called him a liar and a thief. In stealing our smiles, and depriving us of mutual touch and hugs, preventing gatherings from singing or chanting, it seems to me that the fingerprints of God's enemy are all over this.

Yet, if this is one more thing that it takes to defeat this hideous abomination in our lands, then reach for your masks. But, join me in prayer that soon a vaccine will be found, and the world can relax its bans, bandannas and barriers and let the human family party again!