Friday, November 09, 2007

Networking

Now with the wonders of the Worldwide Web we are able to 'network' with our friends. All good stuff, whether it's on Facebook, MySpace or even on the special networking site for over 50's 'sagazone'. I am now able to catch up with friends all over the place, and am even playing Scrabble with my best friend Graeme who lives down under in New Zealand! Needless to say, I am ahead!

Got me thinking, though, about the issue of quantity versus quality when it comes to friendship. All this networking could still leave us sitting alone at our computers hardly ever meeting up with anyone. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for contact, especially over the miles, but nothing beats face to face get togethers over a great coffee. Also, there is room for fraud and identity theft in all this, something that was being warned about only recently on television in the UK.

This weekend I will meet up with some friends in the Lake District that I haven't seen for a long time - and I'm really excited about it! There's nothing to really beat the buzz of chatting and catching up on mutual friends and even with what God is doing in our lives.

If prayer is some kind of networking with God, I am realy glad that one day He and I are going to catch up in person. 'Face to face I shall behold Him' as the songwriter says. It's great having access to the Lord every day, and even in the night when you can't sleep, but it will be even greater to sit down and talk through a few heavy issues when I see Him!

So, to all my Facebook chums, if you are coming anywhere near Guernsey do let me know, and if I'm around your neck of the woods I'll get in touch. And Graeme - if you read this - let's meet up in Singapore for a coffee some time soon!

Mine's a cappucino.