Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Suicide shock at fabulous beach location

I was walking on the beach on Guernsey's fabulous east coast early in the morning, just as the sun was rising over the nearby islands of Herm and Jethou. It was a stunning scene of peace and beauty but I was in for a shock. The bundle of clothing that moved lazily in the shallows as the waves lapped the shore, began to take form as I approached it. I drew my breath in fear and apprehension. It was a body. A beautiful young woman had taken her own life there on the beach. As I waited tearfully for a policeman to arrive on his motorcycle, I prayed for a family about to be torn apart by grief and remorse. Much later I discovered that she was a wealthy heiress, but had been overcome by what turned out to be a terminal mental illness.

This was forty years ago, and I was just starting out on my ministry in the island, but I learned a terrible lesson that day. Living with plenty and prosperity is no insurance policy against loneliness, depression or despair. I believe that Guernsey's suicide rate is still, pro-rata, one of the highest in Europe, in spite of its great beauty and close community. The World Health Organisation has designated today, the 10th September, as suicide prevention day. They claim that nearly three times as many men as women die by suicide in high-income countries, in contrast to low- and middle-income countries, where the rate is more equal. Globally, one person commits suicide every 40 seconds.

I was motivated by that incident, very early in ministry, to take seriously the issue of suicide prevention. I try to listen carefully for the evidence of the potential for self-harm when people speak with me. During my 22 years of heavy opiate use for intense chronic pain, I was occasionally tested by thoughts that my loved ones would be better off without me (and that I could be with God). Those were lies from the enemy of my soul and my family. If I had short-circuited my life in that way I would have missed the amazing research developments in surgery, for instance, that changed my life in 2017. But much more than that, I would have torn a hole in my family and community that could never have been filled.

Please be aware of this problem, and if you are affected by thoughts like the ones I mention above, do talk to someone you trust about it. If you want to contact me, please do. You can search for me by name on Facebook, or use this email: ericgaudion@me.com which I have set up specifically for this purpose. The Samaritans are also always only a phone-call away (116 123 free from any phone).

You really do matter to God, and he does have a plan for your life down here. When his time comes he will call you home, but till then, take advantage of every offer of help and love that might keep you from falling into the trap of believing those lies.