Saturday, June 01, 2019

 I have many questions about prayer. I suspect that everybody prays at some point in their lives, but I have been intentional about prayer for over 50 years since I became a committed follower of Christ. But it is far from easy. How does God answer conflicting prayers from different individuals? Does praying make a difference to our lives and the experience of others? It may be true that we are changed by our praying, but does prayer change things? How can I be better at this thing called 'prayer'?

I want to recommend a new book. I bought this book and am not being paid for reviewing or recommending it! But - like a beggar who has found a great source of bread - I don't want to keep it to myself. How To Pray by Pete Greig: a simple guide for normal people is the best book on prayer that I have read since E M Bound's 19th Century classic Power Through Prayer. Pete Greig's handbook on prayer is described by Nicky Gumbel from HTB and Alpha as 'The book I've been waiting for'. Well you're not alone Nicky - me too!

Basing his teaching on the Lord's Prayer Pete shares his vast experience as the founder of a 24-7 prayer movement with his readers. He has helped me to see again the importance of daily prayer, and offered me practical ways to make that experience happen and be more fruitful. His examples of the power of intercession and the difference prayer can make in our troubled world are thrilling and inspiring. His wisdom about how to cope when prayer is not answered is honest and instructive. This guy speaks my language, plain down-to-earth advice with a smile and a self-effacing chuckle. I love this book and recommend it heartily. You can get a copy by clicking the link above, or searching for it at www.eden.co.uk or if overseas, through international pages of Amazon.

I pray that you will 😇