Saturday, July 27, 2019

Wonky Scales Worry!

What a panic! Diane was just stepping onto our digital bathroom scales wearing only a bright smile, when suddenly she let out a yelp. Instead of her usual weight being displayed, or even a little less, the scales were showing her about 8 stones (50kg) heavier than she should be! I dashed to her aid and whilst trying to console her found my own reading astronomical. We are both trying to lose a bit of weight and being told that we had just gained about 50% of our ideal body-weight was a bit of a shock. Ouch!

I had a brainwave, though, and took the scales off to the bedroom where I keep spare batteries. A swift change of the power source - and presto - we were both 'normal' again (as normal as we can be 😂). We had not changed but the basis on which we were being judged had.

It's so important in life to remember not to judge other people by our own, possibly faulty, scales. I know that when I am tired or stressed, my batteries run down a bit, I can be tetchy and make assumptions about others and they way they act, that if I chomped on a Mars Bar or had a cup of tea, might not seem so bad. And also, although we will all one day stand before the judgement of God, the Bible tells us not to judge beforehand in the case of others (1 Corinthians 4:5). Jesus told us that we should not judge others or we ourselves will be judged (Matthew 7:1).

And it's good to know that God always has fresh batteries when it comes to seeing what is really in our hearts and what weighs us down. On that day he, who is judge of all the earth, will do what's right. And Jesus will speak up for us like he did at Calvary saying 'Father, forgive'.

Next time I'm tempted to judge someone harshly I will check my own batteries too. How about you?