Saturday, May 02, 2020

How Much Further?

Most parents of little children dread the phrases 'how much further?' and 'are we there yet?’ from long family car journeys. The kicking of the back of the front seats can drive you crazy! Young minds cannot yet fully grasp concepts like distance and timing and are easily bored. Thankfully, they are also easily distracted.

The media are in the grip of the same obsession. Speculation about how much longer the lockdown will continue is the publishing pandemic. It seems all the more significant because it resonates in most of our hearts. We all want to know when and how this will end.

When life’s troubles go on for a long time, like this lockdown, similar questions arise in our adult hearts too. ‘My soul is in deep anguish. How long, O Lord, how long?’ (Psalm 6:3). As we approach the 75th anniversary of Liberation from the Nazi occupation of our island, can you imagine how often our parents must have asked the same question during the five long years of restrictions, curfews, starvation and fear?

I asked that question too, many times during the 22 years of my battle with serious and chronic ill health. I longed for the trials to come to an end. There's nothing wrong or abnormal about that.

Early in my ordeal I felt that God gave me  the bible text 1 Peter 5:10 as a personal promise. ‘And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast’ (1 Peter 5:10). I held onto the ‘little while’ part of the verse like a drowning man clasping a piece of flotsam. But as the months, years and finally decades passed without an end to my problem, I started looking again at what the Bible means by the phrase. God’s ‘little while’ turns out to be quite unlike my own interpretation of those words. His timing is not my timing. It was used in scripture to represent lots of different time periods from 70 years to 3 days and nights! The important thing was that there was a time limit, set by God and known only to Him.

My own ‘little while’ appears to have ended now, although storms will not cease completely till we reach heaven. I praise Him for His sustaining grace in the trial and for bringing me out of it. As in Ecclesiastes ch3, ‘there is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens.’ Take courage from that assurance today. God has the timing in His hands, and He will bring you out of this season when its time is done. When Jesus calmed the wind and waves on the Galilee, the one that threatened to drown his disciples, He stilled the storm when He was finished with it, not when they were. His timing is always perfect and His sovereignty and power unlimited.