Saturday, August 22, 2020

Choosing Gratitude

 


Today - I am grateful. Thankful that I am still alive and with my wonderful wife, Diane. Really thrilled to be free from pain and recovered from 22 years of the most appalling agony of chronic pancreatitis. On this my birthday I give thanks to God for his amazing grace, love and his faithfulness to me over 68 years. 

In the midst of a global pandemic I am rejoicing that God is still in charge, and that the virtues of self-sacrifice, love for one's fellow people, and care for the sick and dying, that Jesus so exemplified in his life, are still being shown around us. I see immense pain and suffering on every hand, but I also see the compassion of Christ writ large.

I choose gratitude. It is not always easy. Jesus taught us that gratitude should be our attitude in what we call 'The Beatitudes'. Light chases away darkness. Hope dispels gloom. Love expels fear.

I don't blame the government, or my upbringing, or the shady hand of 'lady luck', for anything that has happened in my life, or is going on in the world around me. There is an intruder in God's good creation. The pandemic and my decades of agony, are his fingerprints. But there are other marks I choose to concentrate upon. Nail prints for instance. The scars from a crown of thorns. A discarded stone and an empty tomb.

So, the best gift I can receive today is the one that sets me free. Free from bitterness and self-pity. Free to be me! Free to say 'Thank you Lord!' and mean it. I choose to be grateful.