Friday, September 04, 2020

Just Breathe


 I once forgot how to breathe. I had been given a much stronger dose of an opiate painkiller in a skin patch format - Fentanyl - many times stronger than conventional morphine. As in the cases where people overdose on this drug, either intentionally or otherwise, the patch suppressed my breathing mechanism. I very nearly died that day. A friend who was a nurse coached me how to breathe until the ambulance arrived, but the simplest and probably most reflex action of my life, breathing, had become a stranger to me. I will never forget the relief of being able to breathe again.

Covid-19 is a respiratory disease. It also attacks the immune system and other aspects of the body's defences, but it is as a lung disease that it has become notoriously efficient. This makes it terrifying to watch sufferers struggling for breath, and survivors left often unable to catch enough breath to speak. A colleague of mine, who survived a potentially deadly attack of the virus and a spell on a ventilator, was advised to do breathing exercises as part of his recovery. He said that the medics also advised him that good breathing etiquette was one way of preparing to be able to face the onslaught of the disease. Whether that is right or not, we don't use much of our lung capacity most of the time. It is good to stand up straight, exhale fully and then inhale to a fuller extent than we normally do.

We need to breathe spiritually too. The Holy Spirit is pictured as God's breath or as a gust of wind, to help us to realise how much we need his presence and power in our lives. In the original picture of God's creating power he is said to have breathed into the nostrils of the first human being and he became a living being. Some believe this is the moment when mankind received its soul or spiritual nature. Whatever, we are spiritual beings and we need God like we need to breathe.

I would never have imagined that I might forget how to breathe. Illness put me into that vulnerable place and I barely escaped with my life. There may be many reasons why we might forget how to have a spiritual life - illness can be one - but there's no time like the present to put that right.

Years ago we used to sing 'Breathe on me breath of God, fill me with life anew'. That still makes sense as a prayer today, especially in the time of a breathing pandemic.