Friday, February 14, 2020

When storms just keep coming!

Like the famous red London buses, storms go missing for a while, and then they come one after the other! Last weekend we shuddered under the onslaught of Storm Ciara, then yesterday I took the photo here during what I understand was Storm Inez and now we are expecting to be rocked by Storm Dennis! Thank God for sea defences is all I can say!

Sadly, though, for many around the UK, especially in places like Pately Bridge in Yorkshire, flood defences were overwhelmed. Homes and businesses have been flooded, and not for the first time. My heart goes out to those dear folk who have suffered this all before, and probably can't move because of the record of flooding in their area.

But, there can be no argument with the warning that comes from the old motto of the Scout movement. 'Be Prepared!'. Our nearby island of Jersey is thinking about the possibility of spending over 200 million pounds on beefing up their sea defences by 2050.

Jesus told of the need for builders to erect their homes on foundations of rock, not sand, because when the storm comes they will not be washed away. Elsewhere the Bible says 'that rock was Christ!'. Certainly, my own experience through the storms of the last couple of decades has been that knowing Jesus and his love and power have kept me in the most appalling circumstances. If you would like to receive a copy of my latest book Through the Storms then email me at throughthestorms750@gmail.com or click here to pre-order online.